Friday, February 6, 2009

Deep thoughts, or not

One should not have deep thoughts on a Friday morning. Especially not while driving to work when one can't write out those deep thoughts. Guess I should have dictated them into my Blackberry... oh well...

I finished reading Searching for God Knows What by Don Miller over breakfast. I got a lot out of it. I'll have to reread it, prolly in the not too distant future.

I wonder what God thinks about the people who get his message wrong, the people who screw up his message to the point that it drives other people away. I look at some of the posts on Ravelry to the effect of "this _________ (fill in the blank) bullshit is why I'm not a Christian (or why I'm not religious)." Yesterday one of the topics was a site that sells t-shirts that say things like "ex-adulterer" or "ex-fornicator" or "ex-hypocrite." I looked at the t-shirt site, didn't see any of Jesus' love anywhere on there.

Having been exposed to rigid, extreme, legalistic religious views, I now have only pity for those who hold those views to the point of driving others away from God. They're going to have an interesting conversation with God at some point...

All I know is, God wants a relationship with us, and I've let the stumbling blocks keep me from that for way too long.

More on this later...

No comments: