Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sense, Sensibility and Getting Incensed


So on teh Rav I got sucked into Yet Another Fiber Club... the Castle Fibers Jane Austen yarn 'n' book club. The first installment came last Friday in a cute little box... the Sense and Sensibility sock kit. Pretty, isn't it? Plus it came with really cute stitch markers. I'm on about the 4th rep of the cuff pattern, it's a ripple/lace sort of like (but not exactly) Feather and Fan. Also I'm on about chapter 13 or 14 of the book. I can really relate to Elinor's and Marianne's romantic woes...

Meanwhile over the weekend I finished up Seven Chakras, a/k/a the tsuspense project. It's drying after being blocked so no pics yet. EDIT to add: At top of post is a pic I took today (Thursday) with my phone... yes that is my foot :-D

On getting incensed... somehow yesterday I wound up in a shitstorm on teh Rav. I won't go into the details, but the Readers' Digest version is that I got massively triggered by a discussion of Biblical submission in marriage, and should you submit to a husband who clearly doesn't deserve it, and blah blah blah, and I posted some stuff I probably shouldn't have. Or more accurately, the stuff I posted, I posted in anger or as a reaction to being triggered, not in love.

So. How does one keep one's cool when being triggered? Shit happens, even to the best of us. Paul wrote,

I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree that the law is good. But in fact it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me.


Rom. 7:15-20. A few verses later, Paul posits the question and the answer: "Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

Hm. Wonder if it's time to reread Romans? After all, it liberated St. Augustine, and it liberated Martin Luther...

No comments: